Sunday, October 18, 2009

Seems Like A Place


Where artists flock to, where artists try their best "to define." For the moment.

It really is a city without definition.

Sure, there's strata level to "Berlin" that one can talk about - hell, I'm talking about it now, but Bowie, Iggy, Lou, The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Einstürzende Neubauten, Nick Cave, and even Bob Fosse, channeling Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey, attempted to do so as well. To define it.

This is a city without definition. Just like any city. Just like my beloved NYC.

Artists have always tried to define my city in the moment. The Ramones. Jasper Johns. John Cage. Philip Glass. Deborah Harry. Dorothy Parker, Jack Kerouac...

And all of them did.

I'm conflicted.

I don't know where home is anymore.

It might be at your house.

Really.

Cover Star: Tessa
Headlining Band: Blixa and Co.

4 comments:

Tessa Chernoi said...

you're welcome in Ass-man Street whenever you please ;)

Mockingbird Girl said...

home is where the heart is baby, no?

Chip Willis said...

My home now feels like NYC, not Columbus. Guess I have to see if I can make that shit happen in 2010. New goal.

Martini said...

I like your observations on Berlin. In my travels, it "felt" more like NYC than any other place, but of course, wholly different. There's certainly something there.

I love the place.

Have fun JMG!