Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Swans - A Cultural Lesson


Long, one of my favorite bands 'of all time', Swans played their "Last NYC Show Forever" on January 27, 1997.

I guess forever is over. The new album, "My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky", just came out yesterday and as previously stated, I have tickets to see their first two NYC shows in close to 14 years on October 8th and 9th. Which makes me and Swans OLD, but GOOD...

I probably saw Swans eight or nine times from 1986 - 1997, the first being the "Children of God" tour at The Cat's Cradle, which was life changing. The last show, at Irving Plaza, was transcendental. I 'literally' had an out of body experience, especially when Michael Gira said, "This will be the last thing you ever see us play" and the band launched into "Blood Promise" for a good twenty-so minutes. When the show was over, everybody just stood there, long after the applause had subsided.

Sadly, Jarboe either was not asked or declined to be a part of the reunion, but the line-up of musicians - Gira - guitar / voice / mendicant friar act; Norman Westberg – guitar (original Swans); Christoph Hahn – guitar (mid period Swans and most Angels of Light); Phil Puleo – drums, percussion, dulcimer etc (final Swans tour and most Angels of Light); Chris Pravdica – bass and gadgets (Flux Information Sciences / Services/ Gunga Din); Thor Harris - drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, keys (Angels of Light, now also with Shearwater) - is astonishing.

Listening to "My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky" for the first time right now and I have full body goosebumps. And that's way better then falling over and cracking my crown (thanks, Patrick).

Portfolio review Sunday at 11am. Wish me luck. Five NYC fine art galleries...

Cover Star: Swans 2010
Headlining Band: Swans 2010

James M. Graham, Website
James M. Graham, Tumblr
James M. Graham, Monograph

No comments: