Friday, July 30, 2010

Live Alone



So, a couple of weeks ago, I got on the Q Train and sat next to this older black lady. And all the way over the Manhattan Bridge I noticed she's 'making something' and working really hard at it.

So, I asked her what she's doing, which I never do. I never talk to anyone on the subway. If you are a New Yorker, you get that. At least I hope you do, and if you don't, well, you're probably from Raleigh, North Carolina.

So, I ask her what she's doing and she says "making a devil fish."

That's compelling.

We had a long conversation about the devil fish, which I finally determined was a SCORPION, (look it up) and we laughed and slapped our knees. Except she kept winding the lanyard plastic into a devil fish - the whole time.

I reached my stop and told her that I had to get off the train. And she said, "I want you to have this."

Unfinished devil fish. I should have gone three more stops.

I should have done a lot of things differently.

Recognize the gift.

"Hanging from chandeliers, same small world at your heels."

Cover Star: "Devil Fish".
Headlining Band: ughhhh...

James M. Graham, Website
James M. Graham, Tumblr
James M. Graham, Monograph

1 comment:

microbekiller said...

My life is a book of regrets. In fact, I thought to write a short story called "The Book of Regrets". Which I never have. And I regret it.

But that is a beautiful devil fish.

I could have lived without the American Apparel backdrop...but life is hard like that.