Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Temple

I just went to a funeral at a rural North Carolina Presbyterian Church.

The service was exactly as my Grandmother would have wanted it and since she mapped it all out before she died, so be it.

I am basically an Agnostic or "Non-Theologian," a term I've recently become fond of. Which means that in these days of Sarah Palin, I am more irritated than normal regarding this country. I don't think I can live here if McCain and "his one" win, and I really have no idea what will happen on November 4th, which scares the shit out of me. I threatened to leave after the theft of 2000 and then again after the voter's idiocy of 2004, but I loved living in New York City, being able, such that it is as of right now, to be able to express myself through my photography and this here blog.

So anyway, back to the funeral. Pastor Russell (his first name), a man my Grandmother loved, presided and did a fine job. He told stories about her that my family (including me) had previously shared with him, which is always great - makes it more of a celebration than a wake. But then - then - he invited anyone who hadn't "accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior" to come forward.

Luckily he didn't have any takers as the only ones in the church that haven't were my sister and I, who just elbowed each other the whole time. Instead of screaming...

It just seems a little egregious in light of the fact that it was my Grandmother's service - her day. Her last day. And much like everything else right now, that moment was co-opted for someone else's stupid fucking agenda.

This was also the same guy that, in November of 2001 when I took my Grandmother to church there, told me, upon finding out that I had stood in the street 20 blocks from The World Trade Center "that" morning and watched all sorts of things that most people never saw on TV, that "The Lord works in mysterious ways."

My response was immediate and direct: "Russell," I said, "The LORD had nothing to do with that." The conversation pretty much ended there. I realize that perhaps this was the only way that he could cope with what had happened down in The Financial District that day, but still, dude, be a little more sensitive...your kind words and introspect didn't strike a chord within me.

Not at all.

Religiously, you don't have to agree with me. I could care less if you agree with me or not, these beliefs are mine and they are personal, just like the rest of my life. I don't fucking care what you believe, but I respect it, and the fact that YOU CAN believe in anything you want. But THAT right is on the line too. You believing what you want to believe, unless you are in line with the personal beliefs of a potential President Palin.

And then you'll never be able to see another picture like this.



Really. Ever.

A potential President Palin retains her right to choose. And her right to choose is to choose your rights...

Cover Star: Angela
Headlining Band: The Afghan Whigs, covering Andrew Lloyd Webber from "Jesus Christ Superstar."

2 comments:

Rebecca Lawrence said...

My mom and I cried so much at my grandfather's funeral. The loss was obvious but, in Wilkesboro NC, we couldn't concentrate on that fact, mourning the fact that the man's brilliant work was being ignored in favor of a service about God's undying love for the sinner. It's a different world out there.

Stacy Leigh said...

Palin scares me and I'm a GOP. I'm voting green this year.