Saturday, August 19, 2006

Punk Rock


I’ve always loved Boston’s Mission of Burma. Even before the reunion tour, the two new albums and the books and other indie rock wanking.

They are important to me. Like The Stooges, American Music Club, Televison, and PJ Harvey. But that is now, let's backtrack...

I was lucky. I stumbled across them innocently. Pure.

My friend Carl turned me on to them around 1986, three years after they had broken up. Oh, I’d seen their albums at The Record Hole (that’s a future post) and vaguely knew who they were, but their brilliance had at that point eluded me.

Their guitarist, Roger Miller, used to play the Fallout Shelter in Raleigh and we went every single time. At that point his ears had been blown out by THE SHEER NOISE HE HAD MADE so he was doing something called “Maximum Electric Piano” and he would show up with a baby grand and put combs and chopsticks and shit in the strings and bang out rhythms, catch them in a sampler multiple times, and play a song with himself.

It was quite astonishing. But, I just wanted him to do “Academy Fight Song” or “That’s When I Reach For My Revolver” (neither of which he wrote…)

Their albums have been re-issued by Ryko. Buy them. Or ask me to send you photos of my vinyl copies. Geek.

I had a great shoot yesterday with Lexia. She has a punk rock, eclectic look, and one that is right up my alley. We shot at her place, which involved me walking, getting on a subway, walking, getting on a train, walking a little, getting in a car, and walking some more.

I wanted to do something different with her, as my PUNK ROCK involves pushing against type. Take the dominatrix and make her an accident victim. Take the swimsuit model (shudder) and make her frown. Take the woman that’s never been properly photographed and photograph her. Properly.

Her wardrobe was amazing and voluminous. I looked at it all and chose four simple sets of clothing. And four locations. Fashion. Fashion. Fashion.

Our first set-up was on the front porch in the sun.
I hate the sun.
I cannot control the sun.
Enough said.

Well, that didn’t work so well.

But once we moved inside, it was Mission Of Burma full blast.

Their new album, “The Obliterati” is amazing and I KNOW THIS because I’ve had it on repeat for 12 hours now.

Lexia is also amazing, as shown here.

2 comments:

James M Graham said...

I love Moby's cover, but the original is the best...

DePaganel said...

Your blog thing caught on. http://lexia-talionis.blogspot.com/ It's a big nasty circle of links. You link to me, I link to you, they click one, get the other, get the other and click again.