Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sweatin' & listenin' to T-Rex


For the past year, I've played T-Rex at every single one of my shoots.

Oh sure, I play the coy game, like "anything you want to hear is cool" and I bring an eclectic selection. Got your Patsy Kline, your George Jones, your Garbage (1st and only album), got your Dandy Warhols (everything), got your Melvins, got your Kruder & Dorfmeister, got your Tool, got your Benny More, got your Swans, got your PJ Harvey, got your Guided by Voices - I even got your fuckin' Glenn Gould.

But whatever you pick, I'm eventually gonna sneak on "Slider" or "Tanx" or "Dandy In The Underworld" or even "Bolan's Zip Gun." And of course I got "Electric Warrior" but c'mon, everybody's heard that...

Music is IMPORTANT at a shoot and I don't mean in a stereotypical "Eyes of Laura Mars" way. People discover a common groove. People connect. People shake their asses.

I've been amazed at what models pick to play when presented with some of the above-mentioned choices. I am often reminded how old I am when they say "I've never heard of T-Rex, but this is GOOD!"

But that's fine. I've always been a huge advocate of turning people onto stuff YOU know about and LOVE and they don't. Perhaps the Bolan estate is benefiting and that's cool with me.

It's hot here in NYC. And apparently, according to Sam Champion (!) it's just the beginning of 5 days of record-breaking heat. I did not leave the house today except to get some coffee and an egg sandwich with hot sauce this morning. And then I went out tonight to get a great bottle of Argentinean Malbec. Spent the rest of the day retouching photos, trying to catch up, and watching the end of season one of "Arrested Development" with my beautiful girl.

Photo is of my friend Angela who was just in town touring as THE burlesque performer for OZZFEST. My heart goes out to her and I miss her.

Right before I took this, she pulled out T-Rex and skipped to "20th Century Boy."

SHE IS KICK ASS.

No comments: