Saturday, August 05, 2006

Women's Clothes


Going shopping today for shoot clothes and it is one of my favorite things in the world. That, and dressing my models up and subsequently undressing them.

There’s a great place just two blocks from me here in Brooklyn that specializes in vintage that is astounding. The buyers there, although surly at times, have a great eye. I drop in every couple of months and spend 2-3 hours going through the racks, dreaming up photographic scenarios and thinking about specific models and what I have planned for them conceptually. About the 5th time I went in and hauled a mess ‘o clothes up to the register, the guy behind it said, “what are you doing?” I told him that I was a photographer and he smiled and said, “That totally makes sense.”

So after I shoot in the clothes I get there, I stick them in a bag and take them back in. Since they all came from there in the first place, the buyers, although surly at times, buy 80% of them back, credit I use to buy a new batch. It’s actually better than a rental house, and I’ve used those too.

I’m shooting everything like a story now - self-discipline for being published or at least getting the work to that level. It’s a mindset, really, and not much different from storyboarding a commercial or writing a treatment for a film. Just pointing a camera at a half-naked girl and firing away bores me.

(Photo is of a very dressed up Julia...)

2 comments:

India said...

I don't suppose Herself ever confiscates anything from your costume box . . . ? Not her style, or does she not like clothes that have had naked ladies in them--eek!

Chip Willis said...

you should see me going thru this place called "rag-o-rama". 6'1 330LB black man, shopping for womens clothes, esp. when I get to ask when is something on a mannequin for sale.

I love the looks I get there. LOL.
Sounds like your place has got more of the variety of stuff I like, vs. just oddball old clothes.

I do find some interesting stuff at times though.

Looking forward to getting there and hiring a real stylist!