Thursday, August 10, 2006

School


When I picked up my camera again in 2003 and decided to do this for real, I found myself at a loss. I went to film school (NYU) and have worked in film and video for nearly 20 years, so I understand all things cinematographical – lighting, exposure, lenses, composition, etc…But starting fresh can be a bit daunting. What would be my style? What would be my subject matter? And if I wanted to play with the big boys, what about all that equipment out there that I’d either “need” or need to be able to use?

On the film shoots I’ve produced, I am a bit of an equipment geek. I LOVE the opportunity to rent a Steadi-Cam or a jib-arm, or work in Hi-Def or even use a dolly. But I’ve always tempered myself (and I think it’s because I became a Producer rather than a Cinematographer – which is what I wanted to do at NYU) to only using the right tools for the right jobs. Gear is a means to an end. You figure out the shot, the feel, the mood, and the composition FIRST and then figure out how best to achieve it.

I frequent a couple of online photography forums, mostly looking for advice, or to be able to share it, or read about something that might interest me. But, man, those so called photographers that put gear first and then jerk off about it all over the digital matrix and right into my face – arghhh! To me that has always been the sign of either the worst kind of amateur – someone that thinks that a fancy-schmancy piece of equipment will make them a BETTER photographer, or just a plain old geek, which I can appreciate.

Geeks don’t make art. Except for David Byrne, okay?

Bear with me…I have digressed.

When I picked up my camera again in 2003 and decided to do this for real, I decided that I might need to go back to school. For photography. The last time I took a “still” photography class was in 1985, so I might be a little rusty.

The idea terrified me, so I just started shooting.

By 2005, I started to get some interest in my work from various and sundry folks, all of whom I dug, so with the pressure on – I decided that now was the time to go back to school.

I am lucky. I live in one of the greatest cities in the world. And because I do, I constantly do what most New Yorker’s do – I do not take advantage of the amazing shit my city has to offer. Well, no more.

I marched myself right up to the ICP (International Center for Photography), one of the most amazing places on earth), and a) joined as a member, and b) picked up a catalog of their courses. Now, something about the ICP: If you go to their basic 4-year school there, you are pretty much guaranteed a career in photography, period. That said, Mommy and Daddy have to fork over upwards of $60k, so like a lot of GREAT schools with money behind them, you are "sorta" buying your way in. Unless you are a moron, like some of those guys on those photography forums – but not even…

Their courses alone are $600 for a weekend, depending on what it is and with who (they have a great faculty and AMAZING guest “professors”). I wanted to take a portraiture class with some pretty famous dude, but of course there were all these prerequisite courses entitled “Basic Photography I” and “Basic Photography II” that, well, I felt I didn’t really need to pay $600 a pop to sit through and THEN want to kill myself during. However, there was a “portfolio review” that if you did well on, would catapult you through that basic shit and right into the class of your choosing.

Cool. So, I called the dude, made an appointment and put my stuff together and headed uptown. Nervous as hell...

The reviewer (a really nice guy who was, thank god, a little older than me, you know, like you want people teaching you to be) looked through my portfolio rather quickly, closed it and said something like well, you clearly don’t need any basic courses and I’ll recommend you for any other course you want to take, but what is it that you really want to do? I said portraiture, but you know, in my weird creepy style. He looked at me and said, well, then, just do it.

So, I decided to find a professional photographer whose work I REALLY admired and see if I could get an assisting position. I got lucky and found a mentor.

At some point, school is DOING it. Especially when you are about to celebrate your 43rd year on the planet. So I do it.

Punchline:
I went up to the ICP today, as a member. Saw the show for free and dropped $75 in their bookstore, and that was WITH my 10% discount.

(Photo is a never-before-seen shot from my first "Alice" shoot with Kate Mandala right around that time. Not finished - contrast, brightness all outta whack, but kinda cool. It was a magic mirror...)

No comments: