Friday, November 06, 2009

I Was a Planet When I Was Smaller


Q: In that old Hollywood pitch fashion, I've sometimes described your work as being a cross between that of Nan Goldin and Cindy Sherman. What do you think?

A: I admire both of these photographers' bodies of work. I think I share certain sensibilities with both, but a hybrid of the two? I don't know. I share Goldin's fascination with the odd, the socially unacceptable, the 'we know about it we just don't want to see it.' I think my work tends to be a little lighter and it's not straight documentary. I create my characters - she photographs actual people. Sherman obviously creates characters, but I'm rarely in my own photographs. It's interesting to me that you chose two really strong female photographers to compare my work to.

- From "Some Of This Is True"
© Luxxus Press

When you said it would be forever, that's the sweetest thing I ever heard.

Cover Star: Hay Dee
Headlining Band: My beloved Grifters