Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Some of my Rock 'n' Roll Moments...

- I saw Frank Zappa perform live eight times.

- I photographed Jarboe from Swans getting a tattoo in the East Village.

- I got drunk at The Bottom Line with John Doe from X.

- I got drunk with Mark Eitzel (American Music Club) and Kid Congo Powers (Cramps. Gun Club, etc..) and Mark hit on me.

- I was in the audience when Bowie performed on the Conan O'Brian Show.

- Tom Waits handed me his cup of Red Zinger Tea.

- I urged my friend Carl to give Roger Miller (Mission of Burma) a drawing of his, which Roger used on his next album , sans Carl's credit.

- I introduced a girlfriend to Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows), one of her heroes, and the three of us had a great conversation.

- Adrien Belew used to call me and my friends "those guys from North Carolina."

- I told Tommy Stinson, after a Replacements show, that they charged too much ($12.00) and he apologized. I was kidding...

More to come...



Sundae, again. She holds a special place in my photographic heart, and I would love to get her in front of my camera again.

4 comments:

dfklldoind said...

James..Zappa here 2 times, countless other bands..most notibly I was there when they recorded Kiss Alive in Detroit, main floor...you can kinda see my hair poof (maybe just me thinking its me).

love the history..cant wait to read more.

bt

Collin J. Rae said...

Oh James..man oh man the stories I could tell! Running into Pete Townsend at the Cocteau Twins Studio one day in 1989, Having Peter Hook come to a show in Koln and calling me the "John Cale of Indie Rock", Bowling the Cocteaus, getting fucked with Inspiral Carpets in Amsterdam and Paris, Touring with Bob Mould and that ASS from Echo and the Bunnymen, someday we should talk music memories!

BLISS said...

mad times I'm sure!!!
Nice photo btw..

theFstopshere said...

nice guitar......