Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Could Lose Everything in a Minute or Two


I've played this one before, but not shown this one. It's of someone not here now, but that should be soon. Here. Now.

I found out last night that a very good friend of mine is dying. And very, very soon. We have sort of drifted apart - that thing that is so easy to do, not talking in four years - and I thought she had beaten the beast. Apparently not. When she hugged me goodbye last night at this random (terrible) restaurant in Chelsea where I had randomly run into her, she said "goodbye" to me. And it was profound.

She's one of the most amazing people I've ever met, and is one of those people that everyone else who's ever met her thinks that she's amazing too. Her life experiences are astonishing, her sense of humor quick and surly (I love making her laugh) and she loved her hash. I hope she still does.

About 24 hours later, it's still settling in.

The last thing she said to me was "Keep those girls standing on chairs."

I've been thinking a lot about what I have. About not being so selfish and appreciating those around me more that are - there.

Here. Now.

Now.

Cover Star: Now
Headlining Band: The Dream Syndicate

www.jamesmgraham.net

4 comments:

Fabulous Finds Gal said...

James,
AMAZING photo and heartfelt post. Reading it makes me thankful for all I have too. And, it's really all about people and love in the end. Well, at least that's what I think now. But, I haven't had to fight the fight yet.
xo,
Christina
PS. Yes, keep those gals standing on chairs.

Stu said...

best thing said in a while (and Thank you Christina)...

"it's really all about people and love in the end"

and yep. it is. Reach when free or in the mood James. You got love from the east.

Best,
Stu

Candace Nirvana said...

Now. a very powerful word and really all we have. Yesterday is gone, the stories are still there and hopefully good. Tomorrow could be great or could be shit or nothing at all. So til then... there's Now.

Dave Rudin said...

I'm sorry to read about your friend, James.

I was very close to my cousin Craig when we were growing up. Then we drifted apart, but after years we started getting toghether again. Then, just as we were getting to know each other again, he died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 47.

It made me wonder.